Roofs can reach the end of their useful life without experiencing a roof failure. This is unlikely in our Canadian weather, but it may happen. A roof may reach its end and just look old and worn and you keep it going with preventive maintenance and proper care. However, it is important not to delay replacing your old roof when it shows clear signs of wear as this could easily lead to larger and costlier problems in the future.
Therefore, you should always keep watch for the warning signs. This way you can surely give yourself enough time to plan your reroofing project and look for the best roofers around.
So, what should you look for when assessing if your roof may need replacement?
- Look for bald spots where you find missing granules.
- You may also see that shingle edges are curled, or shingle tabs are cupped.
- Your roof has a few years, at least 20. It is true that many shingles are manufactured for durability, the weather, ventilation and other factors may accelerate the wear of your shingles.
- Be on the lookout for cracked shingles.
- While airborne algae may not necessarily damage the roof shingles, if you see dark streaks on your roof deck this may be a reason to get a new roofing system.
- Leakage is a sure sign of wear and damage and should not be ignored as it can lead to major problems.
- The roof looks aged, old, worn. As obvious as it may seem, a worn roof is not a good thing. Most homeowners don’t like how this looks. Sometimes these can be removed with a 50:50 blend of water and bleach, but if this doesn’t work, we can help get rid of these with new shingles.
- Moss growth on roof surfaces happens when an area of it doesn’t get much sunlight, particularly in cool, moist climates. While moss growth is a notorious cosmetic issue, it can be a real problem for your roof. Moss holds moisture against the roof surface and overtime in freezing weather, it can cause damage to the granules on the top of the shingles. Moss can be brushed off but it usually grows back up.
Empire Roofing and Exteriors is your best choice for roofing in Guelph and Cambridge
Trusted by many Guelph and Cambridge homeowners, Empire Roofing and Exteriors is your best choice for roofing services and attic insulation. Whether it is general roof maintenance or new installations, we meet all your requirements. We also offer thorough inspections and emergency damage repairs for your roof. Contact us today for a free estimate!